X 
Already a User? Sign in!
Your email ID

Password
Keep me signed in (Uncheck if on shared computer)

New user?   Sign up
X 
Verify your account

You're almost done! We just need to verify your account before you can
start using it.

Your Mobile No.
+91 

Enter the code you received on sms >
Resend Code (Incase you don't get sms from us).

Note: Rediff will never share your number with any company for marketing purpose.

X 
We have sent you an email to . Please click on the link in the email to confirm your emailID.
Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat

#Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat

Author of Sahara: The Untold Story will tell you everything you wanted to...  more »
Author of Sahara: The Untold Story will tell you everything you wanted to know about the conglomerate on Friday at 3pm IST.  « less
83 posts so far
11 others are following
370 characters

Loading ! Please wait...
Step 1 of 4 : Album created
RP

Rajesh Pandey

Sahara Group has purchased a number of luxury hotels abroad, in New York & London, to name a few. Despite that why the Group is not able to bail our Sahara-Shri ? Is it because the investment in these properties abroad is through complex Holding Companies of Mauritius & Tax Havens ?

Sahara Group has purchased a number of luxury hotels abroad, in New York & London, to name a few. Despite that why the Group is not able to bail our Sahara-Shri ? Is it because the investment in these properties abroad is through complex Holding Companies of Mauritius & Tax Havens ? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
Posted : 4 months ago
  - Sab ko Bol
  - Report Abuse
VR

vijay rochlani

The Sahara group reeks of arrogance-muscle flexing as well as disdain. Branding can enhance a product-not create one out of rubbish pls explain that to your readers-or people who write to you-your views Tamal ?

The Sahara group reeks of arrogance-muscle flexing as well as disdain. Branding can enhance a product-not create one out of rubbish pls explain that to your readers-or people who write to you-your views Tamal ? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
  - Sab ko Bol
  - Report Abuse
VR

vijay rochlani

The Sahara group reeks of arrogance-muscle flexing as well as disdain. Branding can enhance a product-not create one out of rubbish pls explain that to your readers-or people who write to you

The Sahara group reeks of arrogance-muscle flexing as well as disdain. Branding can enhance a product-not create one out of rubbish pls explain that to your readers-or people who write to you #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
  - Sab ko Bol
  - Report Abuse
SP

shantibhai-patel

SIR, WILL YOU PLEASE WRITE A BOOK ON RELIANCE GAS,SONIYABAA & PRIME MINISTER....???

SIR, WILL YOU PLEASE WRITE A BOOK ON RELIANCE GAS,SONIYABAA & PRIME MINISTER....??? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
  - Sab ko Bol
  - Report Abuse
VK

vassudev korgaonkar

Sir, Please take this question..its important.Why there are no protest against Sahara by investors? just like we saw in case of Speakasia and Saradha chit fund.

Sir, Please take this question..its important.Why there are no protest against Sahara by investors? just like we saw in case of Speakasia and Saradha chit fund. #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
  - Sab ko Bol
  - Report Abuse
DK

Deepak Kapoor

Hello Sir, Scam so far my knowledge is not a scam, because it was Mulayam strategy to invest black money into land via Sahara group, that is the reason why Sahara cannot repay to investors , because few investors are there but he has to show complete return of finance

Hello Sir, Scam so far my knowledge is not a scam, because it was Mulayam strategy to invest black money into land via Sahara group, that is the reason why Sahara cannot repay to investors , because few investors are there but he has to show complete return of finance #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
  - Sab ko Bol
  - Report Abuse
SP

shantibhai-patel

SIR,HOW ALL THESE CORRUPTION,THEFT,ROBBERY,LOOT,SCAM ETC CAN BE OVERCOME ?SUPREME COURT ALONE CAN NOT WORK.TOO MUCH TIME FOR TRUE JUSTICE IS PASSING AWAY.HARSHAD MEHTA'S CASE IS STILL THERE.WHEN ACCUSED DIES IT IS VANISHED.

SIR,HOW ALL THESE CORRUPTION,THEFT,ROBBERY,LOOT,SCAM ETC CAN BE OVERCOME ?SUPREME COURT ALONE CAN NOT WORK.TOO MUCH TIME FOR TRUE JUSTICE IS PASSING AWAY.HARSHAD MEHTA'S CASE IS STILL THERE.WHEN ACCUSED DIES IT IS VANISHED. #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
  - Sab ko Bol
  - Report Abuse
AC

Amit Chakraborty

Sahara brand has lost confidence, under same management will you think it is possible to rejig bus model?

Sahara brand has lost confidence, under same management will you think it is possible to rejig bus model? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
  - Sab ko Bol
  - Report Abuse
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay

Folks: It was great interacting with you. I need to rush for an appointment. Immensely enjoyed past one hour. Stay in touch and will be happy to answer any question you have. And do get a copy of the book if you wish -- it's available now in all book stores and online. Bye

Folks: It was great interacting with you. I need to rush for an appointment. Immensely enjoyed past one hour. Stay in touch and will be happy to answer any question you have. And do get a copy of the book if you wish -- it's available now in all book stores and online. Bye #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
  - Sab ko Bol
  - Report Abuse
VSC

VEMULAPALLI SATISH-CHOWDARY

WHAT DID EXACTLY SAHARA DID TO SAY IT IS A SCAM I LIKE TO KNOW SIR

WHAT DID EXACTLY SAHARA DID TO SAY IT IS A SCAM I LIKE TO KNOW SIR #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
  - Sab ko Bol
  - Report Abuse
MKJ

manish-kumar johri

R u satisfied with your book???

R u satisfied with your book??? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Manish: Yes I am happy with the outcome. Will need to add a new chapter later on his days in jail and the latest development. The book does not cover the latest part

Manish: Yes I am happy with the outcome. Will need to add a new chapter later on his days in jail and the latest development. The book does not cover the latest part
4 months ago 
NT

Nice Thinker

Will the Sahara brand collapse after this incident?

Will the Sahara brand collapse after this incident? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Yes, it's tough time for Sahara brand. They need to launch a campaign to rebuild the brand. But one thing we need to remember -- rural India is a different ballgame and that's his playground. Rural people are committed to the group

Yes, it's tough time for Sahara brand. They need to launch a campaign to rebuild the brand. But one thing we need to remember -- rural India is a different ballgame and that's his playground. Rural people are committed to the group
4 months ago 
AC

Amit Chakraborty

Sir, what will be fate of Shara employees, can sahara regain further

Sir, what will be fate of Shara employees, can sahara regain further #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Amit: I am told some employees are being transferred but it is not confirmed. No doubt that the Sahara brand is dented and they also need to take a relook at their business model.

Amit: I am told some employees are being transferred but it is not confirmed. No doubt that the Sahara brand is dented and they also need to take a relook at their business model.
4 months ago 
SC

shubhadeep chattopadhyay

Hello Mr. Tamal, Do you think that Mr. Roy will try to escape the legal proceedings once granted bail or he may even go absconding (rare possibility)? and will he now be able to pay the money (20000 cr.) to investors as he is facing problems for arranging money for his bail also?

Hello Mr. Tamal, Do you think that Mr. Roy will try to escape the legal proceedings once granted bail or he may even go absconding (rare possibility)? and will he now be able to pay the money (20000 cr.) to investors as he is facing problems for arranging money for his bail also? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay He cannot escape Shubhadeep. His passport has already been taken away

He cannot escape Shubhadeep. His passport has already been taken away
4 months ago 
RP

Rajesh Pandey

In an answer, you said "Once income tax department tried to probe whether politicians are keeping money with him but nothing was conclusively proved." . With Income Tax department giving clean chit to Gadkari, after the wave was apparent in favour of BJP, can their version on source of money in Sahara Group be believed ?

In an answer, you said "Once income tax department tried to probe whether politicians are keeping money with him but nothing was conclusively proved." . With Income Tax department giving clean chit to Gadkari, after the wave was apparent in favour of BJP, can their version on source of money in Sahara Group be believed ? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay That was in 1997. The IT department did not give him a clean chit but the probe led to nowhere

That was in 1997. The IT department did not give him a clean chit but the probe led to nowhere
4 months ago 
RP

Rajesh Pandey

Raja , he is not in jail for NOT paying Income Tax, but for not obeying Supreme Court in coming clean.

Raja , he is not in jail for NOT paying Income Tax, but for not obeying Supreme Court in coming clean. #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay He is in jail for not obeying court order to appear. Contempt of court.

He is in jail for not obeying court order to appear. Contempt of court.
4 months ago 
DSS

d s sastry

Sir,Sahara is present in all corners. In some tiny towns, where there was no nationalized bank, Sahara was. I think the success of Sahara is on faith and optimism of youth. specially unemployed. Am I right?- D s Sastry

Sir,Sahara is present in all corners. In some tiny towns, where there was no nationalized bank, Sahara was. I think the success of Sahara is on faith and optimism of youth. specially unemployed. Am I right?- D s Sastry #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Sastry: they have lakhs of agents. Had our banks been present at the hinterland, Sahara would not have succeeded.

Sastry: they have lakhs of agents. Had our banks been present at the hinterland, Sahara would not have succeeded.
4 months ago 
SJ

Sanjay Joshi

Hello sir, congratulations to you and appreciate your will power to publish facts about a giant conglomoreate... What was your motivation and how did you start with this book?

Hello sir, congratulations to you and appreciate your will power to publish facts about a giant conglomoreate... What was your motivation and how did you start with this book? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Sanjay: it was nothing but journalistic curiosity. And I enjoyed every moment of it, including the legal challenge

Sanjay: it was nothing but journalistic curiosity. And I enjoyed every moment of it, including the legal challenge
4 months ago 
FK

Firoz Khan

How big is the Sahara scam?

How big is the Sahara scam? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay I don't know whether you can call it a scam, in the conventional sense. The money involved is running into thousands of crores -- some Rs20,000 crore

I don't know whether you can call it a scam, in the conventional sense. The money involved is running into thousands of crores -- some Rs20,000 crore
4 months ago 
SP

Satish Pulli

Do you think Mr Roy will be able to pay the bail amount that the SC has asked him to deposit? Even if the SC has removed the stay on some of the assets?

Do you think Mr Roy will be able to pay the bail amount that the SC has asked him to deposit? Even if the SC has removed the stay on some of the assets? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Satish: He will, by selling assets gradually. He can't do it overnight as that will force him to sell at a massive discount

Satish: He will, by selling assets gradually. He can't do it overnight as that will force him to sell at a massive discount
4 months ago 
RS

Rajan sha

How much is Sahara's business legitimate and how much is ill-gotten wealth?

How much is Sahara's business legitimate and how much is ill-gotten wealth? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Rajan: That's difficult to say.

Rajan: That's difficult to say.
4 months ago 
UK

umar khan

Why was it possible for Sahara to fudge accounts so long without anybody getting to know what was happening at Sahara?

Why was it possible for Sahara to fudge accounts so long without anybody getting to know what was happening at Sahara? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Umar: No investigative agency has actually probed Sahara as yet. As and when that happens, we will get to know many things

Umar: No investigative agency has actually probed Sahara as yet. As and when that happens, we will get to know many things
4 months ago 
NB

Nitin Badesha

What was the reason behind you writing the book?

What was the reason behind you writing the book? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Nitin: As a journalist I am always curious about the Sahara group. Not much is know about the group because it is largely unlisted. I thought it would be a good subject as many people want to know about Sahara

Nitin: As a journalist I am always curious about the Sahara group. Not much is know about the group because it is largely unlisted. I thought it would be a good subject as many people want to know about Sahara
4 months ago 
SS

suman singh

How many years of research went into the writing of the book

How many years of research went into the writing of the book #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Hi Suman, As a journalist, I have been following the Sahara group and its activities for quite a few years now, probably from 2005. But for this book it took me one year to research and complete writing.

Hi Suman, As a journalist, I have been following the Sahara group and its activities for quite a few years now, probably from 2005. But for this book it took me one year to research and complete writing.
4 months ago 
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Suman: One year

Suman: One year
4 months ago 
AS

Amit Shellar

what would you say was the biggest challenge in writing the book?

what would you say was the biggest challenge in writing the book? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Amit: The biggest challenge was to demystify the group. Here is a business conglomerate which has 4799 establishments under its fold through 10 business verticals, and only four of its companies are listed. It employs some 1.2 million people directly and indirectly, the second largest employer after Indian railways. It was like feeling an elephant.

Amit: The biggest challenge was to demystify the group. Here is a business conglomerate which has 4799 establishments under its fold through 10 business verticals, and only four of its companies are listed. It employs some 1.2 million people directly and indirectly, the second largest employer after Indian railways. It was like feeling an elephant.
4 months ago 
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Amit: The biggest challenge was sourcing information. Not too many people were willing to cooperate

Amit: The biggest challenge was sourcing information. Not too many people were willing to cooperate
4 months ago 
H

hitansh

what sort of pressures did you have to face to get this book published?

what sort of pressures did you have to face to get this book published? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Hi Hitansh: There was no pressure while I was writing the book. The pressure mounted after I finishing writing it and the book was ready for release. Even before the book was released the Sahara group moved Calcutta High Court, got a stay on its publication and filed a Rs 200 crore defamation suit against me! Do you call this pressure?

Hi Hitansh: There was no pressure while I was writing the book. The pressure mounted after I finishing writing it and the book was ready for release. Even before the book was released the Sahara group moved Calcutta High Court, got a stay on its publication and filed a Rs 200 crore defamation suit against me! Do you call this pressure?
4 months ago 
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Hitansh: The stay order of high court and the Rs200 crore defamation suit were the toughest part

Hitansh: The stay order of high court and the Rs200 crore defamation suit were the toughest part
4 months ago 
LN

lakshmidasu narsimha

what made you to choose being journalist

what made you to choose being journalist #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Narsimha: It's difficult to say. Guess I confused journalism with creating writing. I wanted to be an author. Scope of meeting people and curiosity about things around me made me a journalist

Narsimha: It's difficult to say. Guess I confused journalism with creating writing. I wanted to be an author. Scope of meeting people and curiosity about things around me made me a journalist
4 months ago 
SB

Suneel Bonjani

You write poemsplease can you share one of them with us.

You write poemsplease can you share one of them with us. #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Oh dear: Yes, I do write poems but that's in Bengali. My book of poems "Anupam Meenrashi" is available in Kolkata

Oh dear: Yes, I do write poems but that's in Bengali. My book of poems "Anupam Meenrashi" is available in Kolkata
4 months ago 
NC

Nitish Chandak

when did you decide you wanted to be a financial journalist?

when did you decide you wanted to be a financial journalist? #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay Nitish: I got into financial journalism in 1995 -- not by any design. I was into general reporting before. It just happened.

Nitish: I got into financial journalism in 1995 -- not by any design. I was into general reporting before. It just happened.
4 months ago 
GG

Gadgets-Gaming

Give us the behind-the-scene story of how Sahara collects, invests and if you have some evidence then launders the money of India's politicos... :-)

Give us the behind-the-scene story of how Sahara collects, invests and if you have some evidence then launders the money of India's politicos... :-) #Tamal-Bandyopadhyay-Chat
TB

Tamal Bandyopadhyay That's long story- -- can't be told over a chat which allows me only brief interaction. If you read the book, you'll get some sense. It's available from today

That's long story- -- can't be told over a chat which allows me only brief interaction. If you read the book, you'll get some sense. It's available from today
4 months ago